Skip to content
- 5 lb (2.2 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 (375 mL) cup white wine
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) shallots, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) butter
- 1 tsp (5 mL) flour
- 1⁄4 tsp (1.2 mL) saffron
- 2 egg yolks
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- In a large kettle, combine parsley, white wine, and shallots, and bring to a boil.
- Steam the mussels in the boiling liquid until opened. Drain and save the cooking stock.
- Remove only top shells of mussels and discard. Arrange mussels in ovenproof serving casserole. Strain cooking liquid through cheese cloth. Pour in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter, and add flour to make roux. Stir roux in stock and whisk to thicken.
- Add the saffron. Pour a little sauce into egg yolks. Mix well and stir into remaining sauce.
- Heat sauce but do not boil. Season to taste with salt, pepper. Sometimes you'll find the mussel stock has enough salt already.
- Pour sauce over the hot mussels. Serve immediately.