Skip to content
- 2 lb (1 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) butter (or dairy-free oil substitute)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, large, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp (1.2 mL) salt
- 1⁄4 tsp (1.2 mL) pepper
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 bottle, light beer
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- In large shallow pan, melt butter over medium heat; cook chopped onion, tomato, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Squeeze juice from lemon into pan; add remaining lemon. Add beer; bring to boil.
- Add mussels, cover and simmer until mussels open, about 10 minutes. Discard any that do not open. Discard lemon; sprinkle with green onion